We are not professionals, nor should any of the content here be used without professional validation to make decisions for your situation. Since entries appear with the most recent on at the top, if you would like to read in a chronological order start at the bottom.

If you feel that the experience shared here has helped you save time and money please consider donating to help spread the costs of acquiring it. Any contribution is appreciated. By way of thanks, anyone who donates will receive bonus materials:

- Current copy of detailed notes

- A sample accounting spreadsheet we use instead of costly accounting software

- A sample Statement of Qualification and Operating Agreement for an LLP

Thanks and good luck with your property!

Tuesday, December 29, 2009


This is a work in progress. There are both US (IRS) and Canadian (CRA)taxes to file, and the usage of an entity to hold and rent the property is definitely a complication.

At an overview level:
- For a simple entity (LLP or LLC) the entity must file taxes as a "partnersip", which means filing a 1065 return
- Rental income and expenses go on form 8825, which is attached to the 1065
- The Partnership also generates K-1 forms that tell individuals what income they should report on their personal tax forms
- Non-Resident Aliens (e.g. Canadians) file 1040NR returns
- A K-1 provided by the LLP/LLC is attached to the 1040NR

Entities such as an LLP or LLC need an EIN number, which can be readily provided by the IRS. Individuals need an ITIN number, which is harder to get and probably must be applied for in conjunction with filing the first tax return.

There are quite a few more details, such as requirements for withholding taxes for Non-Resident Aliens.

Detail will evolve in the Detailed Notes as it unfolds during tax season.

No comments:

Post a Comment