Welcome

We are not professionals, nor should any of the content here be used without professional validation to make decisions for your situation. Since entries appear with the most recent on at the top, if you would like to read in a chronological order start at the bottom.

If you feel that the experience shared here has helped you save time and money please consider donating to help spread the costs of acquiring it. Any contribution is appreciated. By way of thanks, anyone who donates will receive bonus materials:

- Current copy of detailed notes

- A sample accounting spreadsheet we use instead of costly accounting software

- A sample Statement of Qualification and Operating Agreement for an LLP

Thanks and good luck with your property!

Sunday, March 21, 2010

US Taxation - Software

I prepare my own tax returns, and in Canada have generally used tax software on a computer to help out. I searched for appropriate software for the US, and did not find a great answer. Please let me know if you did.

I was looking for a package that would support:
a) US Partnerships (1065)
b) Rental income under a partnership (8825)
c) Non-resident Alien individual returns (1040NR)

No luck.

I did find software that supports (a) and (b), which does help. But then you're on your own to download and complete the 1040NR manually. I chose H&R Block's Business 2009 for (a) and (b), and frankly found it a little disappointing compared with using packages aimed at Canadian taxes. I found the user interface poor, and found myself struggling at times to get what I believed to be the right calculations when rolling up the 8825 information onto the 1065. It could be that I've just had much more experience with Canadian taxes, but if I were doing it again I might try a different package. Better than totally manual though.

Please let me know if you find a better answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment